Thursday, January 24, 2019

Folding Bikes on Vacation

Most of my vacations involve three things:  My boyfriend, my dog and a bike.  Even if the first two don't get to go I will usually try to fit a bike ride into the schedule. 

Recently with our Asheville trip pending we were still trying to decide whether to rent bikes or take our own.  Rich has a folding bike and I was contemplating taking my mountain bike.  A week before we left on vacation he suggested I purchase my own folding bike.  So I added #6 to my fleet of bikes because it made sense.  We have talked about traveling more by car so we could take folding bikes and my awesome bike dog Max.  We decided this trip would be the inaugural folding bike trip.

We packed the tiny rental car which, amazingly, had room for the two folding bikes in the trunk plus our suitcases, a cooler (for growler's of beer not food or water), a pillow, a blanket, dog bed, dog food, dog bowls and said dog Max (wait . . . WHO'S going on vacation???).

We had most of our trip planned out.  Drive north on Blue Ridge Parkway, hike, eat, taste craft beer, music, drive south on Blue Ridge Parkway, hike more, eat more, more music, drink more, kayak, bike, eat more, shop for records (as in albums) in some particular order.  We stayed in West Asheville close to the BRP and highways leading us hither and yon.

Our first morning there we drove into Asheville to have breakfast and survey our surroundings.  We sat outdoors in the long anticipated cool air enjoying breakfast made of organic fixings and me sitting back with a big mug of dark roast coffee with pure raw honey and cream.

Following our meal we walked around checking out shops.  Hmm . . . super hilly city, people on scooters all over the place, lots of pedestrians and no cyclists.  Definitely nobody trying to ride up those hills on a 6 or 7 speed folding bike with 20" wheels.  No matter.  We knew we would find a trail that would be perfect for us.

After missing the window of opportunity to kayak on the only day for which we had allotted time my partner in crime quickly looked up the dog park, we put Max in the car and off we went to Carrier Park and The French Broad River Dog Park with the leash and our folding bikes.

Dottie, Rich and Max 

The French Broad River
Arriving at Carrier Park we pulled out the bikes, unfolded them, found someone who was kind enough to air the tires on Rich's bike after I managed to let the air out of one of his tires due to a broken nozzle on the bike pump located at the park and off we went.

Our Dahon folding bikes

First thing at the parking lot we noticed was a Velodrome.  I stopped and chatted with a guy in the parking lot who said Asheville had just completed the $1.3 million project this past spring.  There were only two people there when we arrived.  I instantly wished Orlando had their own Velodrome.  Click Velodrome link above to check out this cool makeover!

While we rode Max ran alongside on his leash.  He's such a cool, smart dog and was pretty easy to train.  He didn't care much for the dog park but he loves running and we enjoyed the view.  We even took a little dirt path that ran alongside the river - perfect to cut him off the leash and we had some photo ops too.

Max - Bike Dog!


Max - the only unsocial dog at the dog park.
When we got back to the car Rich wanted me to go do a lap around the Velodrome.  I shook my head but temptation got the best of me so I hauled my bike over the boardwalk, chuckled, hopped on my little 6 speed bike and did a lap, waving at the lone guy on the track who was taking a break.  He laughed out loud and so did I.  By no means did I break any records.  It sure was fun though!
My Dahon folding bike and I meet the Velodrome!
We packed up our bikes and the dog and left.  Happy memories and now we know it doesn't matter what dog park we visit Max isn't interested in playing with other dogs.  He just wants to hang out with his humans.  We're definitely going back to Asheville next year and I think we will take our little folding bikes with us.
Artsy little mall near Carrier Park






No comments:

Post a Comment